Friday, February 16, 2007

Motor Vehicle Accidents - Tips

Motor Vehicle Accidents - some tips

What should I do if I have an accident?
Record the name, address, licence number and insurer of other drivers involved along with the registration numbers of their vehicles, if possible.
Try to get names and addresses of witnesses.
Notify the police as soon as possible.
If your vehicle is undriveable and you have comprehensive motor vehicle cover, arrange for it to be towed to a place of safe storage.


What should I do if my vehicle is stolen?
Report it to the police. Usually stolen vehicles are recovered within 6 weeks, and sometimes with only minor damage.


Will I have to pay my excess?
You need to contribute your excess if you are responsible for the accident or you cannot provide the name, address and registration number of the responsible party.

Do I need to complete a claim form?
Not always. Many of our insurers have fast claims phone lodgment services - contact us and we will advise.

Will my No Claim Bonus (NCB) be affected?
Your NCB will only be affected if you are responsible for the accident or if you cannot provide the name, address and registration number of the responsible party. In general, we take steps to protect your no claim bonus when ititiating your policy.

What should I do if someone makes a claim against me?
Record the name, address, licence number and insurer of other drivers involved, if possible and the registration numbers of all vehicles involved, if possible.
If the claim is for an accident, try to get names and addresses of witnesses.
Do not make any admissions and do not attempt to settle any claim made against you.
Contact us and we will do all we can to assist you through the claims process.